Trend Spotlight: Funky '70s
It’s been more than 50 years but the ‘70s are still proving to be one of the most stylish decades ever. With trends ranging from massive bell sleeves and bell-bottom pants, platform shoes, and shearling coats, all the way to the teeniest mini skirts and mini dresses, it was a heavy mix of style that kept evolving throughout the decade. Bigger was better - from larger than life prints to oversized styles, and we just wish we were born then to experience it first hand! Looks like we’ll be living that decade through the 70s iconic fashions currently making a comeback, and here’s everything we’re obsessed with!
This decade gave birth to iconic cuts, fabrics and prints that were once in our parents’ closets and are now circling back to ours! Here are the style highlights we’re totally loving:
Bell-bottom pants practically defined the ‘70s - the wider the flare, the cooler you were. They came in every color, material, and pattern you could possibly imagine - corduroy, denim, leather, printed, plain, striped… it goes on and on!
Button-down shirts have existed since god knows when but the crazy printed version is often linked to the ‘70s. This era loved their prints! If you haven’t guessed by now, more is definitely more, so everyone loved having bold and loud prints in their ‘fits. From paisley to flower power, psychedelic to geometric, the prints were in full force!
Thanks to famed designer Saint Laurent, fringe was cool again for the first time since the roaring 1920s. The ‘70s way to rock the trend was to wear it dangling from your suede jacket or vest. Bonus points if you’re riding a motorcycle!
Boho chic was the name of the game! Everyone loved their peasant dresses with long bell sleeves and flowy skirts.
‘70s Style Stars
With the ‘70s giving rise to powerhouse designers such as Diane von Furstenburg, it’s not hard to imagine how this decade became such a fashionable one. This fabulous era also saw major style icons Farrah Fawcett, Bianca Jagger, Diana Ross and Cher - the megawatt stars who always seemed ready to party in Studio 54. The ‘70s trends also trickled down to more casually dressed stars, like Ali McGraw, Diane Keaton and Jane Birkin.
- The person we probably think of most often when anyone mentions the ‘70s is Farrah Fawcett. Her entire look defined the ‘70s - from bouncy feathered locks, buttoned-down shirts, and high-waisted flared jeans. She was definitely the star every girl wanted to be back in the day.
- On the other end of the spectrum lay Bianca Jagger. A mainstay at ‘70s hotspot Studio 54, she lived and breathed disco fashion. A muse to many, her signature style included jumpsuits, turbans, tube tops, and power suits.
- Diane Von Furstenberg is the fashion world’s princess who became famous for her classic signature wrap dresses! While she did stay true to her style, she never shied away from loud geometric prints as seen consistently in her collections through the years.
- Joanna Lumley was a famous actress in the ‘70s and starred in a popular television show called Absolutely Famous. Joanna embodied the typical ‘70s English style, often seen wearing an assortment of bright colors in psychedelic prints. From her flowy dresses to her bold accessories, her ‘fits were always eye catching!
In Luxury Fashion
- Altuzarra jumped in on the crochet trend that seems to be everywhere this year. We spotted this crochet sweater in their NYFW spring/summer 2020 show so it looks like we’re not the only ones loving this style trend.
- Long, billowy dresses with long sleeves are a staple in ‘70s wardrobes, but this time, they’re coming in with plunging necklines! Etro is bringing back this ‘70s trend with this bell-sleeved dress in what they do best - the paisley print.
- Of course, Gucci isn’t skipping the loud prints with the ‘70s trend! Brands everywhere (and we mean everywhere) have been featuring key style pieces from this iconic decade. Gucci’s stepping up their game with their tops and button downs, incorporating paisley prints and bold patterns from back then to today.
In Street Style
Even in everyday casual wear, we’re already seeing the resurgence of the ‘70s! Bell-bottom jeans, ruffled collars and crochet fabrics are taking over our fashion faves. But it wouldn’t be an ode to that iconic decade without the mosaic elements, bold-curvy-color blocking hues and of course, all the florals!
In Accessories and Decor
Our love for the ‘70s has extended past our clothing choices. We’re seeing the funky, bold prints the ‘70s have come to be known for in wallpapers, bags, nail art, and scarves - and they all just instantly transport us to a whole new era!
On Celebs Today
Yes, even your fave stars today are rocking these trends and racking up those style points! Best believe fashion definitely comes in, out and around.
- Poppy Develingne wore multiple ‘70s trends in one outfit! Bell sleeves - check! Flowers - check! Patchwork- check! Long and flowy dress - check! It’s an instant double tap.
- It’s the neckline for us! 21st century queen Miley Cyrus is jumping in on the ‘70s trend rocks this stylish plunging jumpsuit (complete with a mullet)!
- While they are through with filming the last episode of Keeping up with the Kardashians, that definitely doesn’t mean they’re going anywhere! Kourtney and Kendall were spotted rocking these awesome printed pants way back and this just proves they really are trendsetters. And here we are wishing these pieces were magically in our wardrobes.
- Bella Hadid looked absolutely stunning in her paisley denim pants while out shopping in NYC - and we’re absolutely obsessed with the yellow and blue combo!
- If you needed another memo that paisley flared pants are on trend, say no more! Elsa Hosk and Irina Shayk were spotted rocking their own distinct prints in the iconic flared styles.
- Katie Holmes rocked this kimono style wrap dress in huge floral prints! We’re totally obsessed with anything we can take from day to night, so this ticks all the boxes for us.
Blackbough Gets Groovy
You know we absolutely love our prints at Blackbough and we couldn’t resist adding our own ‘70s-inspired patterns. Taking inspiration from the iconic decade, the Buttercup Baby Collection was born! This funky print features sweet buttercups and daisies on the cutest pastel green base. Plus, we've got a bandana to complete the throwback look! It’s definitely the sweetest take on the hottest trend and it’s sure to get your groove on when you bask out in the sun.
This Buttercup Baby Collection is only the start of what we have in store for you guys - so watch out for more ‘70s inspired prints, styles and beachwear!